Kingdom come is coming, in small yet invasive ways...


Follow along with us as each week we meet for service to those in our neighborhood, common meals, study of Jesus' teachings and how to live them, as well as Sabbath worship at the Buffalo Vineyard City Church .

Monday, January 30, 2012

Whatever the Father Does


A recent visit to Tifft Nature Preserve here in Buffalo
"Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does."

"Just like you, Papa."

This is a great thing to hear as Justice dresses himself, Faith clears the table, or as we all grab shovels on our way out to the compost bin.  Unfortunately it is also true when Faith argues constantly, needing to be right, or when Justice screams angrily when faced with frustration.

As a teenager, I had a pastor that told me, at age 5 the person you most want to be like is your father, at age 15 the person you least want to be like is your father, and at age 30 the person you are most like, is your father.  I've found his to be incredibly true in my life.  This is the blessing and curse of fatherhood.

Recently my work commitments have changed so that I could give more attention to taking care of our kids.  In a neighborhood where fathers are mostly absent, the ministry of fatherhood becomes that much more important.  Stepping into this new season I've tried to remain mindful of Jesus' words about His relationship to His Father.  I've been given a gift, teaching them about colors as we paint; sharing the wonders of our world at the zoo or local nature center; discussing ideas they've learned from their favorite books and shows.  I've also been given a responsibility, model patience as we struggle to get out the door, model peace when they're fighting all afternoon.  I don't know how often I've been able to look toward the heavens and say, "Just like you, Papa."

Father God, grant my children the grace to overcome the ways I screw them up, and may we all be more like You, our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment